Sunday, January 20, 2008

Look Me in the Eye


It's cold here in Cleveland. 10 degrees. No, that's not the wind shield, that's the real thing. Since all I wanted to do was snuggle up with a blanket, I finished the book I was reading, Look Me in the Eye: My Life with Asperger's by John Elder Robison. I became obsessed with Asperger's, a mild form of autism, after watching my favorite model, Heather, on the last season of America's Next Top Model. Robison explains that as an Aspergian, he has huge problems making conversation and interacting with people, but over the years has learned what is "normal" and is happier now than in his childhood before there was a diagnosis. Another characteristic of Asperger's is that they learn as much as possible about a particular subject that interests them, making them an expert in that area. Robison became an expert at electrical engineering which led him to make special effect guitars for KISS and later work on electronic games in the 80's for Milton Bradley. It's interesting to get into the mind of someone who is mildly autistic; his writing is very logical and complete. And how many people can say they toured with KISS?

For more info, here's his blog, where you can see pictures of his family who are characters in the book. I love that he is so open about his life in the quest to help others with Asperger's.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey D! When you wrote this entry, I immediately thought of Heather from America's Next Top Model. I wish that girl could have won, but maybe someone else can sign her because she has so much potential. You have definitely sold this book to me because I want to read it now. That stuff's very interesting! Heather was a phenomenal artist too - did you see her work, especially with eyes? Those are child protegies right there! I love your blog - keep up the good work! :)