Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Free movies part 3, Charlie Bartlett

Let's talk about what happened before I even got into this movie.  These two security guards were giving me a hard time about my cell phone when I was walking in. I turned it on silent and they
wanted me to turn it completely off. I'm like what's the difference and the guy said you can't get into the movie unless you turn it completely off, that's what the ticket says. I was so pissed, I never had to do that at a free movie before and get harassed about it. Did they honestly think I was going to tape the movie with my cell phone?  I put it on silent as soon as I got to my seat.
Then these 2 girls came in late and sat next to me and they reeked of Red Bull. One of the girls pulls out a hot dog with mustard! It stunk so bad! I felt like I was sitting next to Britney Spears.

Onto the actual movie.  One of the reasons I was excited to see Charlie Bartlett was that it is one of my favorite types of movies - ones that are set in high school.  While watching it I kept thinking that this is what we wish high school was like, where the kids rule the school. The new dorky kid, Charlie Bartlett, becomes popular by partnering with the school bully by selling pharmaceutical drugs.  How does he get these prescription drugs?  By going to multiple psychatrists, lying to them about his symptoms and getting prescriptions.  Charlie then pretends to be a psychatrist by listening to the kids' problems in the boys bathroom and dispensing meds.  The movie plays this off as cute, not really dwelling on how dangerous it is to abuse prescription drugs. Sure there's reference to a kid overdosing and getting his stomach pumped, but I don't think that's enough.  The movie does have a point, that Charlie has been treated like an adult his whole life and should be treated like a kid, but it seems like it takes forever to get to that point. 

No comments: