Monday, November 14, 2011

Trying to be healthy

The wedding was wonderful but the stress surrounding it was overwhelming. I was really surprised how some family members acted. I guess a wedding brings people's true colors out. Everyone loved the carnival theme though and danced the night away. I'm so grateful to have been given a nice wedding by my in-laws, but I'm happy it's over and life is back to normal.

My new obsession is what I call "healthy living blogs". I've been introduced to the world of Whole Foods, protein powder, overnight oats, chia seeds, almond butter and a lot of other things that excite me. I've been trying to incorporate some of these ideas into my diet in these past few months. Another one of these cool blogger buzz words is kale. On hungry hungry hippie, I read how she tried this kale from the Pasadena Whole Foods made by a chef AJ. That rung a bell in my head and I searched my deleted emails from Whole Foods and saw that chef AJ was coming to my Whole Foods the following week for a demo and book signing. What are the odds that she would be in Cleveland?

The demo was very informative and explained why we shouldn't eat processed foods. Chef AJ used to be a comedienne and that really showed because she was very energetic. She said Cleveland is the farthest she's travelled so far. She also made fun of my Cleveland accent when I told her I visited Santa Monica and Hollywood on my honeymoon. I hate when I get nervous and that comes out!

Here she is in action:


Anyway she demoed a Nutrient Rich Chocolate Smoothie. The main ingredient is spinach but she used cacao powder and dates to sweeten it up.

Next was the famous Hail to the Kale salad that the hippie talked about. She used a whole jar of raw almond butter to make that dressing! So cool to actually be able to taste it!


Next was a black bean based soup.


And for dessert an amazing raw chocolate truffle (and a nice shot of my black work pants!).


I'm going to try to attend more demos like this in the future to keep learning about "healthy living" topics!

No comments: