Thursday, July 12, 2007

McHigh School


Ok I'lll admit it. I used to be the McDonald's queen. I started working there right around my 15th birthday and worked until I graduated high school at 18 with even a few stints in college. When you work there, one of your employee "benefits" is free food for your break. So for pratically 4 years, I ate McDonald's food every week. Being the health conscious person that I am, I usually got around the totally fattening foods by choosing soup, yogurt, ice cream in a cup with no topping, low fat apple muffins (which they don't make anymore!). Sometimes I craved fries and double cheeseburgers. I try to avoid McDonald's at all costs now after the food overload in my teenage years but what has brought me back is their Iced Coffee. It tastes like something I would get at Starbuck's or Caribou, comes in hazelnut, my favorite coffee flavor, and is cheaper.

Today I went to McDonald's with literally 8 minutes left before I had to be at work. I looked at the line up in the drive-thru and saw that it would take longer than the time I had so I risked going inside. Parking your car and hoofing it inside is risky because from working at McDonald's I know that they usually have either new employees or senior citizens and your order is bound to be processed slow. After repeating myself a couple of times the order was fine, although the coffee tastes really bland. I think she forgot to put syrup in it or something. I also got a fruit and yogurt parfait which was excellent so that makes up for the bland coffee. What makes it so good is that the fruit was melted. There's nothing worse than getting one they just made with frozen fruit that tastes like ice cubes.

I'm glad I went inside today because looking at the counters and the drive-thru brought back great memories of working during high school. Those were really good times when I had no worries. My first kiss, my first boyfriend and my best girlfriend were all people I met working there. I know it sounds cliché, but I did really learn how to communicate better, people skills, etc. It's good to know I can relive all these moments just by walking into a McDonald's.

No comments: