
I have been a huge fan of MTV 's True Life series, partly because it first aired in 1998 when I was the same age as the subjects in the documentaries, and also because they touch on really interesting topics. 10 years later and I will still catch an episode and watch it when flipping through the channels. Yesterday I happened to catch True Life: I'm Deaf, and it was one of the best episodes ever! The one kid, 16-year old Chris, was born deaf but decided to get a cochlear implant. There is a scene where they turn the implant on in the doctor's office and Chris hears for the first time ever. It was so emotional, I cried! He hears his mother's voice for the first time and all kinds of ambient sounds that we all take for granted. It is amazing to watch his expressions as he is discovering new sounds. Very inspiring and makes you rethink what you're doing in your own life.
5 comments:
i know cris
cause i live in vernon he is a very sweet guy.
Oooh, I'll have to catch that in reruns! Sounds like a great episode!
chris i think is really cute does he havea face book or myspace?! i jsut watched that episode and i woudl love to talk to him :]
i almost cried! i had the biggest smile on my face!! and he is so adorable!!!
We'll never know how it feels to be deaf our whole lives. People who have been deaf their whole lives can read words but never know how it sounds. So we will never know how this kid must feel hearing his mom's voice for the first time. Must be remarkable and a miracle. :) - Daniel
Post a Comment